Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hanging up the little red skirt....

It's official: my final day at Tavern United is Saturday. I put in my notice today.

Don't get my wrong. I loved working at the Tavern, and I really enjoyed chatting with the customers. It was super exciting to feel like I was part of something new to Grand Forks. The only problem was, the new and exciting thing wasn't very enjoyable if you were an employee. Employees cannot consume alcohol in the Tavern if they have worked at any point during that day. Considering that my only days off were usually Sunday and Monday, it meant that I was never going to have a chance to actually visit the Tavern and fully enjoy it.

There were also some concerns about my student teaching this fall. What does the Tavern's uniform make me look like to the parents of my future students, or the the future school administrators who would be hiring me down the road? These concerns about the uniform were in addition to the fact that several students at Central High School work in the Tavern, and I knew I had to remove myself from that working environment before I began student teaching.

I've now accepted a position at the Grand Forks Comfort Inn as a front desk clerk. It's much better pay, and I know I'll never be scheduled to work 11-2 p.m. and 6 p.m. to midnight on the same day. My shifts will usually be either 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. (much like a regular school day) or 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. (which isn't horrible, either, because it allows me to sleep in and still be home early enough to hit the bars with friends if I want to). I'll never again lose tip money because the bartender didn't have clamato for a caesar, and I'm very, very happy about that.

I'm going to miss walking around with wads of dollar bills, though...

No comments: